Finding that perfect gift for a loved one when they graduate from college can often be tricky. On the one hand, the student has successfully gotten through four years of college after a lot of hard work, pulling all-nighters, stressing about deadlines, and getting good grades, and on the other, their life is about to go through a major transition.
Therefore it may be hard to find a gift that sums up how proud you are of them and want to show your support for the next steps in their life. This article makes your job easier by offering great ideas for a graduation gift. Let’s have a look!
How to Find the Perfect College Graduation Gift
A gift can be a great way to help recent graduates celebrate this milestone in their life. You can give something to celebrate their success, for their first adult job, further studies, a move to another house or city, or even some well-earned relaxation before they move on to their next adventure. Here are some ideas to help you decide.
A Gift for Celebrating Their Success
Before your loved one begins the next chapter of their lives, it may be a great idea to give them a gift that makes their graduation a special event that they will remember forever; for instance, you could throw them a graduation party with friends or family. You can arrange a small affair in the house, book a lavish restaurant, or even do a themed or pool party.
Sometimes the best graduation gifts are the ones that hold sentimental value for the recipient. Here are a few ideas
- Compile congratulatory letters and videos from friends and family
- Give them a family heirloom
- Get their diploma or graduation picture framed in a special frame and hang it on the wall
- Give them a personalized piece of jewelry or any other accessory
- Gift them a photo album with pictures from their childhood till their graduation
A Gift for Their Future Job
When the new graduate is ready to start their first grown-up job, you can give them a gift to wish them good luck or something functional they will find useful in their future job. Here are some ideas:
- A daily planner to help them organize their to-do lists and track their tasks and activities
- A personalized laptop bag or folder with their initials engraved on it
- A customized pen or cardholder
- A portable phone charger
- A coffee tumbler or a novelty mug with a quirky message
- A new tie or pair of cufflinks for the first day at the office
A Gift to Support Them in Setting up Their Own Space
If the new college grad is moving out of the home and setting up their own space, you can show your support by giving them something for their new space. Here are a few examples:
- Purchase a practical furniture item to help them out, like their first sofa or a coffee table
- Get them a décor item like wall art to help them make their new space more bright and cheerful. You can also gift scented candles or indoor plants
- Buy a kitchen or home appliance to make your life more comfortable
- A cookbook with quick and easy recipes accompanied by a basket of basic spices to help them get started on cooking independently
- A custom cushion or throw pillow for their sofa
- A toolkit to help them set up their furniture, hang wall pieces, or fix things
Alternatively, you can give cash to help them set up their new space. Add a note to congratulate them on their graduation and convey good wishes for their future.
A Gift to Help Them Settle Back In
If the recent grad has been away during college years and is moving back in after college, even for a short while, you can show your support through a gesture or gift that will make them feel welcome. For instance, you can get something nice for their room, like a new bed set, a pair of curtains, or a new rug. You can also hang their framed diploma on the wall to show your pride in their achievement.
A Gift to Help Them Relax and Enjoy Vacations
Now that college is finally over, the recent grad may look forward to some relaxation before taking on the next challenge. If you want to help them and show appreciation for all the effort and hard work they put in during their college years, here are a few ideas.
- Plan a family trip to a place where you are sure they will enjoy. If they want to take a trip with their friends, give some cash as a gift to make their trip more comfortable
- Buy them a subscription to a streaming service
- Get them a spot for any activity or sport they enjoy, like tennis, swimming, dancing, etc.
- Take them for a relaxing day at a lavish spa
- Gift them books or accessories they can use for pursuing a hobby like art or gardening supplies
There you have it! A lot of great ideas from which you can pick that perfect college graduation gift. Whether you want your beloved new graduate to relish and celebrate their success, show your appreciation, or give them something to brave the real world, this article has it all.
While some gifts are functional and serve a practical purpose, others are intended to be a keepsake for their sentimental value. At the end of the day, you know your loved one better than anyone else, so you can best decide what gift they would enjoy the most.